Tuesday, May 13, 2014

The Elephant in the Elevator


I recently started a new job with offices located on the 9th floor.   This requires me to ride the elevator several times a day and these daily rides have brought back to my attention something I’ve noticed over the years. When multiple people get in the elevator together, most times no one acknowledges there are other people in the elevator.  Everyone either pulls out their phone, stares at the electronic display ticking off the floors as we go up or down, or just stare blankly ahead in silence.  I do it too; I know every detail of the scratches in the elevator’s wood paneling at my new place of work. Any other animal gets in this close proximity to another member of its species; it’s growling, barking, sniffing, or trying to establish dominance.  There is never a situation where these two animal strangers just ignore each other.  I’m not suggesting that when entering an elevator you proceed to sniff everyone in there, but how about a simple acknowledgment or friendly hello. Let that animal instinct out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment