Friday, September 17, 2010

If you say you hate all races you can get out of it

When I told people that I had jury duty coming up every comment I received was how I could get out of it. I was given things to say to get excused all together, things to say to get the judge to excuse me, and of course a dozen people told me I should have just thrown the notice in the trash and pretended I never go it, the funny thing is I wasn’t trying to get out of it. Why is it that everyone’s reaction is to try and get out of jury duty? I have served on a jury and it was an interesting experience, seeing how the judicial process works first hand, seeing how the D.A. and the defense attorney pick their questions to weed out the jury. This time around I was called to a courtroom for selection and was put in the jury box for questioning. I was eventually excused, but it was intriguing to see the questions we were asked due to the nature of the case. The biggest problem I had was the people that were saying things that were obviously for the sole purpose of getting excused. You could tell by the tone in their voices that they didn’t believe what they were saying. Why is everyone trying so hard to get out of jury duty? While I was sitting in the jury box I thought to myself, “knock on wood, god forbid, I find myself in a courtroom, preparing to face a jury, I want that jury to be paying attention and willing to be there, I don’t want a bunch of people who are pissed off and wanting nothing more than to get out of there. Next time you get a jury duty summons put yourself on the other side of the jury box and give the defendant the trial they deserve.

No comments:

Post a Comment