Monday, March 28, 2011

Out of the Wild

I stumbled on to Discovery channel’s Out of The Wild the other day. The show takes 9 cast members, gives them 3 days of basic survival training, a pack with supplies, and then drops them in the middle of the wilderness. They are given a partial map (more map pieces are given at each checkpoint) and have to navigate back to civilization. Each cast member has a button they can push at any point to be “rescued”. During the few minutes I watched, one of the cast members, while having an emotional moment and wanting to quit, said, “ I just wish I was back in Maine right now, I just want to go home”. There is a simple solution to that, go home. You are on a TV show, what are you doing there to begin with, you didn’t somehow become stranded there, you went through a casting process and made the choice to go. I mean what could possibly go wrong with 3 days of basic survivor skill training before being left in the wilderness? If you want to go back to Maine so bad, just go, but don’t cry about it, you’re not going to die, the cameraman filming this ridiculous moment will make sure of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment