Monday, July 25, 2011

Sunglasses day

Earlier this year I took a creative writing class, I've decided to finally share a few of my pieces from that class. On Mondays for the next few weeks I will be posting a new piece. Here is the first piece. Please be gentle. Enjoy.



A Sunglasses Day


A long day, collapsing on the couch, exhausted, starving, I can’t remember if I had lunch. I weigh my options, all of them involve movement, none satisfactory. She’s picking one up from ballet, the other from a friend’s, they’ve surely eaten, waiting isn’t going to solve my problem. If it were the fifties, she would have greeted me at the door, my meal warming in the oven, if not, tomorrow would be a sunglasses day. They’re home, bounding through the door, showing me toys from the happy meals they had for dinner, my stomach eating itself at the smell of salt and grease emanating from the plastic figurines. Now off to bed, she follows to tuck them in. Again I sit alone, still hungry.

2 comments:

  1. Bryan, I'm so glad that you're FINALLY sharing your writing. I'm looking forward to seeing more! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the allusion to spousal abuse. Very subtle, very crafty. Nice.

    ReplyDelete