Thursday, January 31, 2013

Who would you pick up?

Would you pick up a 70 year old woman and give her a ride across town? My friend did yesterday.  Strangely she told me this story last night when I myself had just started watching the Thumbs Up! series where David Choe and his friend Harry film themselves hitchhiking across America.  It was interesting to see the people that picked them up so far, mostly weirdos, but there was a mother and her teenage son that gave them a lift for about 50 miles. Would you pick up two guys, one playing acoustic guitar and the other playing a mini drum set (that's how they try and get attention to get picked up) off the side of the road?  I don’t think I would, but many people did.  My friend told me that immediately after letting the woman in her car she thought, “what the hell did I just do?” What she did was help another human who was in need.  Sadly we have been conditioned to not trust strangers, even as adults. If you were the one stranded, would you trust the person willing to pick you up?  I don’t think I would…especially with the beard I’m rocking these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment