Tuesday, August 10, 2010

I have no idea how this works

Have you ever looked at something and thought I have no idea how this works? I was looking out of the window of the plane the other day (instead of sleeping because apparently the guy next to me had never flown and wanted to take iPhone video of the clouds) and as I looked at the wing and all of the hydraulics working I thought, “I have no idea how this works!” It is an intricate array of small moving parts that must all work together. I know the general principle, that the bottom of the wing is flat and the top is curved, thus the air takes longer to travel over the top allowing the plane to lift off the ground, but as far as the engines and wing controls I am clueless. Yet I get on planes over and over again just assuming they will work and I won’t come crashing to my death from 50,000 feet. When you really think about it, how much of the stuff you use on a daily basis do you really understand how it works? Take my iPhone for example, I have no idea how the touch screen works, how it can send a signal to a satellite in space and transfers my voice to another phone. Can you imagine being one of the few who actually understand this stuff? Next time you hit the brakes in your car think about if you even know how they stop you from smashing into that Prius in front of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment