Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Body don't fail me now

When I started running a mile seemed like forever, it seemed like it would never end, that first blocked felt like a mile.  Then a mile turned to two, two turned to three, three to four, and then I did my first 10k.  I did it injured and that was a mistake, but the feeling of accomplishment I felt when crossing the finish line was exhilarating.  My stubbornness to run while injured cost me 4 months of running.  My leg was slow to heal but a few weeks ago I took my first running steps again. It was only a mile and I felt like I was smoking a pack of cigarettes the whole time.  Slowly one mile turned into two, and then two into three.  My mind knows I can do six, but my body is fighting me.  My cardio is there but my knees are screaming.  I know that knee pain, it’s the pain I’ve gotten every time I’ve tried running in the past, I know it means I need to ease up a bit, let my body recover, but my mind knows I can do more and wants to do more.  I have to learn from past mistakes and listen to my body because something that once seemed like the dumbest thing in the world has now become something I can’t see life without.

No comments:

Post a Comment